Wordpress is an easy target for attacks. That's why it helps to add some extra security and firewall to your site by using security plugins.
To help you find the one that suits your site, we chose the best ones that will take your website security to a whole new level.
Anti-Spam, HTTP to HTTPS, Brute Force Protection, Backup, Security Authentication, and many more.
Security WP Plugins
If you want to keep your website safe, then Wordfence is the right solution for you.
It includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner built from the ground up to protect WordPress.
Besides the firewall and malware scanner that offer numerous possibilities, WordFence has some awesome security tools that block attackers by IP or build advanced rules based on IP Range, User Agent, and Referrer.
The best thing about this WP plugin is that offers you over 30 ways to secure yourself from viral attacks.
In a nutshell, it works to lock down WordPress, stop automated attacks, fix errors and strengthen user credentials.
It includes numerous plugins, themes, and training providing you with everything you need to build a WordPress Web.
You can even use some of its pro features by taking your site’s security to the next level with iThemes Security Pro.
– Google reCAPTCHA; allows you to protect your site from spammers
– User Action Logging; check when the user’s login, log out and edit content.
– Dashboard Widget; allows you to manage important tasks right from the WordPress dashboard
This tool is free and enables all WordPress users to use a list of security features to protect their websites from potential attacks.
Those features include:
– Security Notifications
– Effective Security Hardening
– Website Firewall
– Blacklist Monitoring
– File Integrity monitoring
– Post-hack Security Actions
– Security Activity Auditing
– Remote Malware Scanning
Sucuri Security is meant to complement your existing security posture. This tool is globally recognized as an authority related to website security, especially WordPress.
All In One WP Security And Firewall
All in one WP Security and Firewall will take your website security to a whole new level.
It checks for vulnerability by implementing the latest WordPress security techniques and practices.
It’s really easy-to-use and understand.
Its security and firewall rules are categorized into:
This allows you to apply the firewall rules without breaking the functionality of the site.
It has the ability to automatically lockout all IP address ranges which attempt to login with an invalid username
Anti-Malware Security And Brute-Force Firewall
This great tool runs a complete scan to automatically remove known security threats and backdoor scripts.
On top of that, it upgrades vulnerable versions of scripts.
Beside regular features, it offers a few amazing premium features like:
– Check the integrity of your WordPress Core files
– Automatically download new definition Updates when running a complete scan
– Patch your wp-login and XMLRPC to block Brute-Force and DDoS attacks
Cerber Security, Antispam & Malware Scan
This great tool mitigates attacks by limiting the number of login attempts through the login form, XML-RPC requests or using auth cookies.
It is an advanced malware scanner, integrity checker and file monitor.
Its security rules and comprehensive algorithms strengthen WordPress.
– Filter out and inspect activities by IP address, user, username or a particular activity
– Disable automatic redirection to the login page
– Immediately block an IP or a subnet when attempting to log in with a prohibited or non-existent username
The BulletProof Security involves:
– Malware scanner
– Login Security
Besides these, it has numerous features and additional BulletProof Security Bonus Custom Code making it reliable, easy-to-use and efficient WordPress Security Plugin.
– One click setup wizard
– Hidden Plugin Folders/Files Cron (HPF)
– Security Logging
– UI Theme Skin Changer (3 Theme SKins)
– JTC Anti-Spam/Anti-Hacker
– Quarantine intrusion Detection & Prevention System (ARQ IDPS)
Shield Security For WordPress
Shield Security for WordPress distinguishes itself from the sea of other WP plugins by being extremely easy-to-use.
Instead of constantly sending you alerts and distracting you from your work, this tool alerts you if and when you need to be informed.
It’s also easy to set up and has the highest average rating for any WP security plugin.
– Automatic Updates Control
– Automatic Black List – no need for you to manage IPs!
– 2 factor Authentication – including Google Authenticator and Email
Jetpack By WordPress.com
If you are looking for one solution which includes marketing, security, and free-design, this tool is the right choice for you.
This amazing tool will help you with intuitive and powerful customization tools, lazy image loading for a faster mobile experience, and provide you with hundreds of professional themes for any kind of site.
– Site stats analytics
– Simple payment Pay Pal buttons
– Brute force attack protection, spam filtering, and downtime filtering
Anti-Spam WP plugins
Akismet filters out spam.
It checks all your comments against their constantly growing spam database in order to remove malicious an nd irrelevant content that can hurt your site’s credibility.
Besides being a highly efficient tool, it also is really affordable and will fit your business needs.
Developing Akismet through their API couldn’t be easier.
Akismet is a proud member of the WordPress Community since 2005 and is providing protection for over 3 million users.
– Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user
– URLs are shown in the comment body to reveal hidden or misleading links
This amazing tool allows you to block spam comments and trackbacks effectively without sending information to third-party services.
The best thing that it is free, 100 % GDP compliant and ad-free.
– Treat BBC code as spam
– Select spam indicators to send comments to deletion directly
– Search local spam database for commenters previously marked as spammers
Anti-Spam By CleanTalk
This is a universal anti-spam plugin which supports: Buddy Press, bbPress, Fast Secure Contact Form, MailPoet, S2Member, Contact Form 7, WooCommerce and many other.
There is a free trial, and then you pay $8 per year.
Anti-Spam by CLeanTalk filters spam subscriptions for MailPoet, MailChimp, PopupAlly, and other newsletter plugins.
– Stops survey spams, polls
– Stops spam in widgets
– Stops spam in WooCommerce
– Compatible with mobile users and devices
WP Bruiser (no CAPTCHA anti-spam)
WP identifies spam bots without annoying and hard to read images.
It is completely invisible to end-users and it works perfectly.
It eliminates spam-bot signups, brute force attacks, and prevents the bots from leaving spam, unlike other anti-spam plugins, which detect spam comments and move them to your spam folder which then they have to delete.
– Automatically block IP addresses
– Standard WordPress Login form integration
– Manually block/unblock IP addresses
This incredible tool is capable of performing more than 20 different checks form spam and malicious events.
Also, it can block spam from 20 different countries.
It uses different methods to detect spam and that’s why it may be considered too aggressive for some sites.
Denied requests are presented with CAPTCHA screen which can be configured as open CAPTCHA, Google CAPTCHA, Solve Media CAPTCHA.
Its an open-source is an open source software.
Spam Destroyer WP plugin is designed to be easy-to-use.
It stops automated spam while remaining as unobtrusive as possible to regular commenters.
Its solid, reliable and completely effective.
It’s not the most sophisticated, but it sure works!
SSL WP Plugins
HTTPS SSL Manager WP Plugin
Are you looking to install SSL certificate on your WordPress site?
This WP plugin is an all-in-one solution that will enable SSL and TLS on WordPress sites.
In its core, SSL WP Plugin secures your site by forcing the WordPress to use HTTPS to access pages on your site and automatically create an HTTPS redirection that changes HTTP calls to https.
This encryption protects your site from the attacks.
It includes a wide range of features and it also has a dashboard that shows you the SSL status on your site.
This one has only a pro version.
Really Simple SSL
This great tool automatically detects your settings and configures your website to run over https.
Its lightweight and easily manageable.
Its simplicity will save you plenty of hours and effort in the long run.
If you wish to support the continual development of the plugin, you may as well consider buying the pro version.
Awesome pro features:
– The option to enable HTTP
– The mixed content scan, which allows you to see which what you have to do if you still haven’t got the green lock yet
– More detailed feedback on the configuration page
SSL Insecure Content Fixer
If you install SSL Insecure content fixer, you will immediately solve most insecure content warnings effortlessly.
Once you install SSL Insecure Content Fixer, it gets activated and performs some basic fixes on your site.
If you wish to use more comprehensive levels, you can select them as needed by your website.
Regarding privacy, SSL doesn’t collect any personal identifying information and doesn’t set any cookies.
It’s free, but there are pro options you can choose.
Easy HTTPS Redirection
This plugin is designed to help you automatically set up a redirection to the https version of an URL when anyone tries to access the non-https version.
Basically, you are always forcing the visitor to view the HTTPS version of the page or site in question.
On top of that, you can force the entire domain to be auto-redirected to HTTPS URL, or selectively choose a few pages to be redirected.
It’s free but it also has some pro options.
– Force load static files
– Actions; do an auto-redirect for a few pages.
This means that the user can enter the URLs that will be redirected to the HTTPS version.
WP Force SSL
If you want this plugin to work, you need an SSL Certificate.
Also, you need to add https to the WordPress address (URL) and Site Address (URL) parameters under General > Settings.
This tool is great because it helps you redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS without the need of touching any code.
Brute Force Protection WP Plugins
The best thing about this tool is that it blocks login after a number of retries, that is once they reach the maximum.
Besides blacklisting or whitelisting IPs for login using Loginizer, you can also use other features such as Two Factor Auth, reCAPTCHA, Password-Less Login, etc, to improve the security of your website.
Awesome pro features:
– Rename Login Page; the Admin can rename the Login URL to prevent automated brute force.
– Auto Blacklist IPs; IPs will be auto-blacklisted if certain usernames are used to log in by malicious bots/users.
Limit Login Attempts Reloaded
WordPress allows multiple login attempts either through the login page or by sending special cookies.
If you want to prevent this, try using Limit Login Attempts Reloaded.
This tool blocks an Internet address from making further attempts after a number of retries, thus making a brute force attacks very difficult or even impossible.
– Handles server behind the reverse proxy
– Multi-site compatibility with extra MU settings
– Limit the number of attempts to log in using authorization cookies in the same way
The best thing about this tool is that it records the IP address and timestamp of every failed login attempt.
If more then a certain number of attempts is detected from the same IP range in a particular period of time, it disables the login function for all the requests from that range.
This prevents brute force password discovery.
Administrators can release locked out IP ranges manually from the panel.
WP Limit Login Attempts
This great tool protects your site from brute force attacks.
It limits the rate of login attempts and blocks IP temporarily by using a really simple method to gain access to the site – it tries usernames over and over again until it gets in.
Also, it detects bots by using captcha verification.
– A mechanism for slowing down brute force attack
– GDPR compliant; with this feature turned on, all logged IPs get obfuscated
– Login Security; limits login attempts and track user login attempts
Brute Force Login Protection
A Brute Force Attacks tries usernames and passwords until it gets in.
It’s a lightweight plugin that protects your website against brute force login attacks using .htaccess.
After a few login attempts in a certain period of time, it blocks the IP address of the hacker.
– Option to inform a user about remaining attempts on a login page
– Limit the number of login attempts using Auth Cookies
– Option to email administrator once IP has been blocked
Limit Attempts By BestWebSoft
This incredible tool limits the number of failed login attempts per user and blocks user IP for a certain period of time-based on your settings.
It protects your website from spam and brute-force attacks.
On top of that, it stops automated scripts to create a large number of combinations and hack your site.
– Manage your statistics list with:
– Number of blocks
– IP address
– Number of failed attempts
– Detailed step-by-step documentation and videos
Backup WP Plugins
This plugin is one of the most popular premium plugins out there in the market.
It was built in 2010 to meet the needs for a solid WordPress backup solution.
With just a few clicks BackupBuddy backs up your entire WordPress website from within your WordPress dashboard.
Here are a few things that this awesome tool backs up on your site:
– Theme and Plugin settings
– Media Library Uploads
– Categories and Tags
– WordPress core files
– Plugin files
This powerful plugin protects you from the most common and most serious security threats.
It offers powerful security features for individuals, professionals, and agencies such as:
– Backups; Automated backups stored in our offsite digital vault in real time
– File Scanning; automatically detects and eliminates viruses, malware, and other exploitable security problems
– Automated file repair; it fixes detected viruses, malware, and other dangerous threats with just one click
It has recently become part of Automattic’s another product called JetPack.
You will need a JetPack subscription plan to use VaultPress.
There are different pricing plans with a different set of features.
This plugin is really easy-to-use, and it allows you to backup and restores with a single click on a schedule that suits you.
It performs complete manual or scheduled backups of all your WordPress file, sets schedules and restores backups directly from your WordPress control panel.
– Cloning and migration
– Fast, personal support
– Pre-update backups
It’s free with premium pricing plans.
BackWPup – WordPress Backup Plugin
This backup plugin is used to save your complete installation including /wp-content/and push them to external Backup Service such as Dropbox and alike.
Keep in mind that this free version will not be supported as good as the BackWPup Pro Version.
– Store backup to SugarSync (needs curl)
– Store backup to Microsoft Azure ( Blob) (needs PHP 5.3.2, curl)
– Multi-site support only as a network admin
– Check and repair database
This plugin was created to back up your entire site including your database and all your files on a schedule that suits you.
It’s really easy to use and its free with premium versions.
– Works on Linux and Windows Server
– Good support if you need any assistance
– Super simple to use, no setup required
It has numerous translations including Russian, Serbian, Dutch, French
Duplicator – WordPress Migration Plugin
This tool is particularly good for migration of sites.
It gives WordPress users the ability to migrate, copy, move or clone a site from one location to another.
On top of that, it serves as a simple backup utility.
Duplicator enables you to:
– Duplicate a live site to a staging area or vice versa
– Bundle up the entire WordPress site for easy reuse or distribution
– Transfer a WordPress site from one host to another
Security Authentication WP Plugins
Secure your WordPress login with an additional layer of security!
This plugin provides two factor authentication during login.
Here are some free plugin features:
– Language Translation support
– Two Factor Authentication allows authentication on login page itself for Google Authenticator and mini orange soft token.
Standard plugin features:
– Backup Method: KBA ( security Questions)
– Multiple Login Options: Username+Password+two factor (or) Username + Two Factor
Rublon Two-factor Authentication
Here are the things that distinguish this plugin from the others:
– 1 click download, 1 activation, very easy to use
– Instantly increases security for you (Personal Edition) and all users (Business Edition)
– No configuration or training needed
Unlike traditional two-factor authentication solutions, demand users enter a one-time password each time they log in, with Rubon you confirm your identity by simply clicking on a link or scanning a Rublon Code.
Duo Two-Factor Authentication
Duo Security provides two-factor authentication as a service to protect against account takeover and data thief.
With Duo plugin, you can easily add a Duo-two factor to your WordPress site in just a few easy steps.
It’s really easy to set up and use.
On top of that, with Duo, there is no some extra hardware or complicated software to install – just sign up and install the plugin.
Two Factor Authentication
This tool will allow you to secure WordPress login with this two-factor authentication.
Users who are able to use will need to use a one-time code which then they will use to log in.
– Displays graphical QR codes for easy scanning into apps on your phone/tablet
– TFA can be turned off by each user
– Added a wide range of extra security checks to the original fork code.
– Works together with WP-Members (shortcode forms)
Keyy Two Factor Authentication
This plugin gives you 2-factor authentication easily and with a difference.
It replaces passwords with RSA public-key cryptography. As a result, security is stronger and user-experience better.
– Industry-standard RSA encryption (asymmetric keys)- in other words, your login key lives on your phone
– There is no backdoor access
– If you use your phone, you can disable the plugin through your web-hosting account
– The ability for admins to view and override settings for a specific user
– Access to Premium support channels